A tiny 1 second delay on your page load can cause a big 7% reduction in conversions. How can you solve it?
A slow website can seriously hurt your sales figures. Research shows that a 1 second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions. If you sell $500 per day, that’s nearly $13,000 lost per year!
If that wasn’t enough, it’s also been shown that 40% of visitors will abandon a website that takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
Still not convinced? Want to rank high in Google? Google is using page load speed as a measure in search rankings.
The reasoning here is that Google wants you to find what you are looking for as quickly as possible. If your website is too slow in loading, this will impact the ‘Google user experience’. For this reason, Google rewards faster sites by ranking them higher, meaning more click throughs and more potential customers to land on your site.
E-commerce page speed load infographic
STOP LOSING SALES! WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT…
- Make sure your hosting server has enough processing capacity and consider upgrading to another host if it
- s not up to snuff. Use a good quality provider like BlueHost.
- Check that HTML validates well. This can slow down your page rendering time.
- Make great use of caching.
- Make sure your images are saved at the size you want to display. You can do this manually but ideally your content management system will do it for you.
- Use CDN (content delivery networks) where possible to delivery common libraries like jQuery.
- Install Google PageSpeed for your web server.
- Reduce the size of your HTML pages, clean up your site and remove unwanted elements.
A good starting point for all of this is Google PageSpeed Insights. This gives you scores on a few points of loading speed optimization. The Pingdom speed checker is also a great tool and will show you how your website compares with other websites.
Want some help speeding up your website? Just answer a few questions and we’ll get your site sprinting to new speeds.
Latest posts by Gina Bultman (see all)
- Is Local SEO Really Worth The Money for Dentists? - December 10, 2019
- PPC Ad Writing – The Dos and Don’ts - October 9, 2019
- The World Is Not a Demographic: A Guide to Finding Your Perfect Target Market - December 1, 2018